Makes 1 x 20cm cake
125g butter, softened
2 extra large eggs
5ml lemon essence
10ml baking powder
80ml SPUR Salad and French Fry Dressing
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add one egg at a time and mix well after each addition.
4. Add lemon essence and mix well.
5. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
6. Add remaining ingredients, alternating between dry mixture, milk and SPUR Salad and French Fry Dressing. Spoon batter into prepared tin.
7. Bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
9. Wrap tightly in cling film and place in the freezer to ease the slicing process.
3 x basic lemon cakes
750g butter, softened
1kg icing sugar, sifted
sweets and sprinkles to decorate
1. Cream icing sugar and butter together until smooth.
2. Divide as needed and add food colouring.
Place one cake on a serving dish or wooden board. Cover with icing sugar and top with another cake. Repeat with remaining cakes to form a uniform tower.
Insert 3 skewers to secure cake and dust any loose crumbs away.
Using a sharp bread knife, shape cake into a dome, slicing with consistent pressure from top to bottom. Dust cut surfaces again.
Using a palette knife, cover your teepee cake with a thin layer of icing from top to bottom. This is known as the dirty icing used to trap stray crumbs.
Cover with remaining icing and decorate with sweets and sprinkles.