Makes 1 doll cake
1kg pack vanilla cake mix - make the batter according to the instructions on the packet
1 cup (250ml) butter, softened
1kg sifted icing sugar
1tbsp (15ml) vanilla essence
8 marshmallows, cut with scissors to form petal shapes
Nicoletta writing pens
1 small doll
1. Preheat oven according to packet instructions.
2. Pour batter into a well-greased 1.5L ovenproof mixing bowl.
3. Bake according to packet instructions or until cooked through. If you insert a metal skewer into the cake and it comes out clean, it’s ready.
4. Cool completely and turn out, flat side down, onto a plate or cake board.
5. Butter icing: Beat icing ingredients together until light and fluffy.
Scoop out a small hole from the centre of the curved side the cake - this is where the body of the doll will sit.
Spoon a little butter icing into the hole and insert the doll into the cake.
Tip: Use a cheap doll and remove the legs – it makes this much more simple.
Cover the cake with icing and decorate with the sliced marshmallows and writing pens.